Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween Treats

Being on a budget can make things difficult for my creativity but then I realize, it is only a challenge and I can make it happen!  So for our pumpkin carving party I decided to make sugar cookies, since we also have ample amounts of candy for all to pick at.  I really like the sugar cookies that come in the gift baskets but I think sometimes they can be a bit dry.  I tried this new recipe and I love it and so did JL who claims to "not be into sweets".  He can deny it all he wants but when I make a really good dessert he just can't seem to help himself :)



Sugar Cookies (like the gift basket ones)
Sadly I don't know where I got this from but thank you!


1/2 C + 6 T butter, I used salted
3 C + 3 T all purpose flour
1 C superfine sugar, you can toss some regular sugar into a food processor to make it superfine
1 large egg
1 t vanilla

  • Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla, just until it is creamy, don't over mix!
  • Beat in egg until well combined.
  • Add flour until a non-sticky dough forms.
  • Knead and separate into two portions.  
  • Roll out in between two pieces of parchment or wax paper and let cool in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes, until firm.
  • Remove from fridge and cut into desired shapes.
  • Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes on a parchment lined cookies sheet.
  • Slide paper off of sheet and let coo before removing them.



Frosting
Adapted from All Recipes, Submitted by JB BOX

1 C powdered sugar
2 t milk
2 t light corn syrup
1/4 t vanilla extract
food coloring

  • Combine all but food coloring and separate into desired portions for coloring.
  • Wait until cookies have cooled before frosting.


Live, Laugh, Love & Enjoy!

No comments: