Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cochinita Pibil - Say what???

In order to be more creative in the kitchen I figure its about time I roll up my sleeves and start thinking Mexican.  For those who know me, you may think this an odd statement, seeing how JL is Mexican and would assume I am already doing this, but alas no.  The sole reason being that I wouldn't want to compete with his mother or other excellent cooks in his family.  Silly as it sounds trying to cook something new can be intimidating and then having something fabulous to compare my cooking to...  well you get the idea.  JL thinks it is silly. 

I have referenced Simply Recipes before but I really love the blog, really.  Elise cooks some Tex-Mex stuff and some authentic Mexican dishes too.   Not only that but she cooks other delicious recipes I seem to always want to try, maybe its the photos...  Anyway, you have to check it out. 

Back to my rant...  So in order for me to start this journey I found a recipe for Chochinita Pibil on Elise's site and decided why not?  It looked pretty easy, just needed a special Mexican ingredient, and a long time to cook.  Bonus: JL had never tried it!!!  Not only that but a cousin of a friend has tried it and she said it was good, so I jumped... And it was definitely worth it!!! 

I would highly suggest this for any cook, so incredibly easy and super delicious, please try it and don't be wary of its origin!

Cochinita Pibil Recipe

Some of my suggestions:
  • Steam a couple of chile de arbols (or other spicy red chile) and toss in the blender with the marinade.  We thought it needed a kick but still delish. 
  • Cook it in a Crock Pot for 5-7 hours on high (depending on how much you are making)
  • This recipe will feed four, without much leftovers, so we doubled the recipe, had some friends over and had some for lunch the next day.  It is delish the next day.
  • Definitely shred the meat and mix in some of the broth before serving.
  • Serve with Lime-Cilantro rice, Elise has a recipe for it linked to the Cochinita Pibil recipe.
  • We also had some avocado with it :)
Sorry for no photo but I just can't compete with Elise :)

Live, Laugh, Love & Enjoy!

No comments: