Wednesday, February 16, 2011

V-Day Reflection

What could be a better way to spend Valentines day than with the one you love, cooking together in the kitchen?  For me, not much...  (And this was in additional to all the wonderful flowers he gave me.)

That's what JL and I did and it was so much fun!  On occasion JL has been helping me cook dinner and I would say recently he has really starting taking an interest in it.  I couldn't be happier knowing there will come a day when he will feel comfortable enough to just have dinner ready and waiting for me when I get home but for now I am happy to share that time with him. 

I prepared the menu, with him in mind, and we went from there.

Menu:
Beer battered onion rings & mushrooms with spicy mayo
Pommes Anne (kicked up)
Ribeye steak with a mushroom marsala gravy
Cheesy garlic pinwheels
Chocolate chip creme brulee with banana

He was super excited to try and fry things and after doing it he was even more convinced we needed a deep fryer...  After that though, there was still lots to be done and his excitement dimmed, but he was still happy to help... and eat!  We didn't end up making the Pommes Anne since we already had so much food and I knew it wouldn't be eaten and would take up more time.  Overall everything was delicious! 

Inspiration:

The Onion rings were a spin off on a recipe by Guy Fieri on the food network.
The Pommes Anne was inspired by Anne Burrell from the food network.
The Ribeye steak and gravy was an adjusted recipe from Giada from food network.
The Pinwheels are a recipe from http://www.ourbestbites.com/ but I used a store bought french bread dough from the refrigerated section since it unrolls nicely.
The Creme brulee was a recipe from Paula Deen (surprise-surprise) that I added some flair to.

Overall incredibly successful dinner and great memories :)

Live, Laugh, Love & Enjoy!

No comments: