Tuesday, April 6, 2010

So Sore...

Hello all! Sorry I have been a bit quiet the past couple of days. I had the luxury of not having to go to work since last Thursday so we were busy in the yard and hanging out with the family.

Friday JL's parents came and did a lot of work in the back yard. Recently, with the rains, we have been having a huge weed problem. Not that kind of weed, the kind that runs rampant in the yard and garden. It had gotten really bad so for a few hours we were in the back yard working hard to clear them out. We weren't able to finish completely but I was able to whip up some Hot Cross Buns in my down time. You can find the recipe on the Simply Recipes blog, the link is on the left. I will warn you, they don't last long. The next day they were starting to get a little hard so for next year I will be trying another recipe.


Saturday I was able to relax a little bit but around 10:30 JL's dad came by and started to work on the yard again. After I did a few chores around the house, I went out to help him. Around 11:30 JL came home from work early, yay, with his mom in tow. We, meaning the men, started to work on clearing space for a patio. Once they were pooped we went to Home Depot and out to dinner. We frequent Home Depot about once a week, they know us there...

Sunday was our day to kinda relax. I made ham, salad and a pie. On our way to JL's parents house we stopped off to get some macaroni salad to find out they were completely out. I guess that wasn't an original idea... So potato salad it was! Everything was great, especially since JL's mom doesn't use her oven so I had to make everything ahead of time. The pie was good, the crust was fabulous! The berries were a little too moist so I will be working on that part of it but I came across the BEST pie crust recipe ever. Keep in mind, no fat was spared for this crust! (See Recipe Below) A little trick I learned, make an egg white wash and line the bottom of the pie crust before filling to prevent it from getting soggy.

Monday we had errands and appointments but for the second half of the day we just did a whole lot of nothing! I felt so guilty doing it but it was good for me to try and relax and just spend time with JL. With all that time together, you would think we would get tired of each other but it was just the opposite and today I missed being with him.

So why sore you ask? I woke up at 6:00am to work out and it felt good but definitely tired. I am so out of shape but I hope in a couple of weeks I will be able to start to go jogging, just waiting for the sun to rise earlier...


Never Fail Pie Crust

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter(unsalted),softened
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
5 1/2 tablespoons water

Directions
1. Whisk together the flour and salt. Blend in shortening until texture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Mix together egg, vinegar, and water. Pour into flour mixture, and mix together.
3. Roll dough out between wax paper; no extra flour is needed to roll out dough if wax paper is used. Use as directed in recipe.

Notes: Roll the dough out very thin, it will rise while baking! This recipe makes more that you will need for a top and bottom crust so you can do what my mom always did, make some cookies with the remainder by rolling out the dough, cutting into shapes and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

Live, Laugh, Love and Enjoy!

No comments: