Friday, May 14, 2010

I love rhubarb in the spring time!

Hello all, I am finally getting over this horrible sickness! Yesterday I went to the doctor because my ear was acting up and turns out I have a hole in my ear drum... hmmm... so now fully medicated, as if I wasn't before, I am feeling better and ready to tackle the world! I don't know if you can recall the last time you were really sick but when I started to feel better I just felt like I had so much to do and I wanted to do all of it. Not only that but I am waking up at 6am without any trouble and ready to take on the day. Weird. I am definitely not complaining though, I love being able to wake up and get ready slowly in the morning.

So what's up with the rhubarb? I bought a few pounds of it the other day and finally got around to writing about it and feeling well enough to actually prepare it :)



Rhubarb is an interesting plant, a vegetable but typically turned into a dessert. Probably the only vegetable I can honestly say I love on ice cream. So how is it prepared? With lots of sugar! I don't have a recipe for this per say, I typically just wing it when I make it but I'm sure there are recipes out there, I recall something in the Joy of Cooking. Besides just putting it on ice cream, because I am incredibly impatient and don't want to bother with pie crusts, you can make it into a pie. If you are feeling like you want to liven it up even more you can add strawberries. I did that the other night, before the sickness, and JL thought there was too many flavors going on, so maybe better for a pie idea.

So what to do... I wash and cut the rhubarb into pieces about 1/4 inch thin by about 1/2 inch wide, but it's up to you. Then I add some sugar and just a pinch of water (I know you can't pinch water but seriously, its just a little tiny bit since the rhubarb will let off its own juice). I put this mixture into a sauce pan and on med to low heat I cook it until the rhubarb is tender and falling apart. Some people like to feel the texture of the rhubarb so if you are one of those people, just cook it a little less, if you are like me and like it really tender then wait a bit longer, I know it's hard to do. Make sure a taste it before you serve it, rhubarb is pretty tart so you may need to add more sugar.

I like to serve it warm over ice cream but you can let it cool completely first, up to you.

Live, Laugh, Love & Enjoy!

No comments: