Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Simple BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

This is a dish I kinda stumbled upon. A few months ago I was typing up some of my family's old recipes and I noticed how back in the day people tended to use bacon fat to cook things instead of olive oil or vegetable oil. This got me to thinking, were they on to something? Has the fear of saturated fats gotten in the way of incredibly delicious foods? I think so in this case :)

This dish I make about every other week because it is so incredibly simple and we always have bacon and BBQ sauce on hand. This can be made in a slow cooker if that is easier for you but the other day I just precooked the chicken in the morning while is was getting ready for work and it was ready for me to use when I got home, making this dish one of the fastest meals I have in my repertoire.

Simple BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

2 chicken breasts precooked (or cut into pieces to add to a slow cooker)
4 strips of bacon
1 small sweet onion diced
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 c BBQ Sauce of choice
Buns or rolls
Cheese of your choice, we like cheddar or American

1. Cook bacon in a skillet on the stove until crispy and remove from grease.
2. Add onion to bacon grease and saute until starting to brown. If your bacon lets off a lot of grease you can drain some of it out but the brown bits are what really give it extra flavor.
3. Add shredded chicken to onion and cook until heated up. I have, when in a pinch, added diced uncooked chicken at this point and it turned out well too. You really can't go wrong with this one.
4. Dice bacon and once chicken is heated through, or cooked, add the bacon.
5. Add the BBQ Sauce and stir. Allow for the mixture to simmer for a minute or two to let off some of the moisture.
6. Scoop onto warmed or toasted buns and top with shredded cheese.
*If you do decide to use a slow cooker, about 4 hours on high and you should have a gloppy mess of deliciousness.

I serve these with the traditional tater tots and I try to add some veggies in there like a salad... Not that JL even gets to that :)

Live, Laugh, Love & Enjoy!

No comments: