Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Coconut Shrimp with Apricot-Ginger Dipping Sauce

I LOVE coconut shrimp. I really do... When JL and I go out to dinner I usually scan to see if it is available and then see that the price is ridiculous and opt for something less expensive. The real problem is that I know I can make it for a lot less so I think it is ridiculous to spend four times the amount. The recipe I make tastes a lot like the kind from the Yard House but I use a beer batter and they use panko.

I apologize for the quality of the pictures... My Nikon battery charger is MIA so for now I only have my phone camera.










Coconut Shrimp with Apricot-Ginger Dipping Sauce

Adapted from FoodNetwork

Ingredients

Apricot-Ginger Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup apricot jam
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (or 1 t ground ginger)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeds discarded, minced
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

Coconut Shrimp:
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup beer
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 egg
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (you can leave the tails on, I didn't)
3 to 5 cups vegetable or canola oil

Directions

Place all apricot dipping sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Reserve.

In a large bowl, combine flour, beer, lime juice, baking soda, salt, cayenne, and egg. Beat until it is smooth. Add a bit more flour or beer, if necessary, so that the batter has the consistency of pancake batter.

Pat shrimp dry so the batter will stick.

Pour oil into a small, tall pot until it is 3 inches deep. Heat oil until it reaches 350 degrees F, BE CAREFUL!

While oil is heating, dip each shrimp into the batter, then dredge into the coconut shreds so that the entire shrimp is covered in coconut shreds (minus the tail, if you are keeping it).

When oil is ready, submerge 4 shrimp at a time into oil. Fry for approximately 1 minute, or until coconut is a golden brown, rotating once or twice. Remove and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.

Skim any wayward coconut shreds from the oil. Adjust heat so that it is 350 degrees F again and continue with next batch.

Serve with apricot dipping sauce.

Live, Laugh, Love, & Enjoy!

No comments: