Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Refried Beans

Ok, so I don't have a picture for this one but consider it a bonus! I am writing this in lieu of my cousin Sarah's comment on Beans Beans... regarding the everlasting question, do refried beans have lard in them??? Honestly it really depends on who you talk to!

The Rosarita beans you find in the grocery store do not, they are more a mashed beans than refried beans. I love them, grew up eating them and I make a delicious layer dip with them, but you will find they are not what you can get from a restaurant...

So that leads to the question, then how can I make them???

First, cook your own beans. Not only will they taste better, they are less expensive and don't have the funny taste canned ones can have. Refer to my previous post about beans for how-to.

Second, find a fat you prefer to use. My suggestions would include, lard* (yes lard), corn oil, canola oil, and light olive oil. I make my beans with canola or corn oil but it really is up to your taste preference and the type of bean you are using... If you are going with a pinto, I would suggest either lard or canola, black beans can use light olive oil or canola nicely and white beans, just about anything!

Third, over a medium heat, heat up about 1 tablespoon to 3 tablespoons (depending on amount of beans, I tend to use very little and add more if I need to) in a skillet.

Fourth, while fat is heating up, drain beans but reserve the liquid, you will use it in a bit...

Fifth, add beans to skillet, be careful, they may pop at you!

Sixth, stir beans in the fat and let them get "dried out" and tender.

Seventh, once tender, start to mash. They should be tender enough that you can do this with a spoon or what ever you are using to mix them...

Eighth, once all mashed slowly add some of the liquid you reserved to the mash and combine. Continue to add until they are a bit runny, then slowly let the liquid evaporate by simmering until you are happy with the consistency.

So to answer your question Sarah, to make the beans you will find in a restaurant, use pinto beans with lard. But to make more traditional beans from Mexico, use a small amount of light oil and enjoy the flavors of the beans, not the lard!

*Be cautious when using bacon fat/lard. It tends to be salty and if you have already salted your beans then it might make for a bad idea...

Live, Laugh, Love & Enjoy!

No comments: