Friday, September 17, 2010

Food buzz

It is official, I am now a food blogger :)

A lot of people are competing right now to be The Next Food Blog Star, next year I may give it a try but we'll see.

I am currently working on trying to find the best Tres Leches Cake. If you are unsure what this is, here is a bit about this dessert...

It is a Mexican staple at most celebrations. In fact, it would almost be considered weird to not have it. Some think this dessert is from Nicaragua, and they may be correct, but I think the version I am focused on is a traditional Mexican dessert. My best explanation of this cake is that it is a white cake soaked in sweet milk. It has a bread pudding-like consistency but is served chilled. It really tastes a lot like flan, since it has a heavy egg base. Typically it is topped with whip cream or meringue. My theory is the meringue is the Nicaraguan roots and the whip cream is the Mexican, but again, just my theory :)


This may seem like a simple cake. Just a white cake with sweet milk but it is incredibly deceptive... First, the egg whites need to be whipped stiff, and the yolks creamed until light. Then the wet is gently folded into the dry until just combined.

From all the cakes I have tried at JL's family and friend's parties, I have to say, unless it's homemade or from a quality bakery, it just isn't worth trying. Typical issues with this cake are:
- The cake (or pan) isn't right. They either use a regular white cake, not the right flavor, or it is simply too crumbly.
- The cake sits way too long. I would say 9 out of 10 times I have had this cake the sweet milk is all collected on the bottom and the top is almost dry. This is from it sitting way too long or the cake consistency isn't right to hold onto the milk. Either way, not good...
- Since most bakeries are focused on the ease and expense of the ingredients, most of the time the frosting is gross. As stated before, the frosting is supposed to be a simple whipped cream or meringue (I have yet to try) but usually they put a whipped frosting or something that just tastes like it is made of chemicals. I don't know if this is because a mix is used or if they are concerned that the frosting won't stay put if left out of the fridge. Either way yuck!

So as you can see the challenges are many but I figure if I can tackle this cake, then I can do anything! Lol, maybe not anything but any cake that is!

Live, Laugh, Love!

No comments: