Thursday, September 23, 2010

German Chocolate Cake

Birthdays are my excuse to try out a new recipe for cakes and this one for, my co-worker, Kurt is no exception. A few weeks ago we were talking about my cake making and all of a sudden he said, "I loooooove cake!" I laughed and said, "what kind?" The conversation went from there and I soon found out that he was more a cake lover than a frosting lover.

As you know there are four different types of people, in regards to cake, the cake lover, the frosting lover, the all over lover and the non-lover (weird people). He apparently was a cake lover. This continued the conversation to see if he has even had real frosting, not the kind that is premade and is just thrown on the grocery store cakes but the buttery rich, yet not overly sweet, taste of homemade frosting. He said, "uh.. no." Hmm.. I thought, can there really be people out there who have never had the joy of tasting frosting from a beater? Sad :(

The conversation continued on to say that one cake he really liked was one his grandmother made for him when he was little, a German Chocolate Cake. It's interesting because he happens to be half German but this cake actually isn't from Germany at all, rather England by a guy named Sam German, from England. The actual name for this cake is German's Chocolate Cake and was altered with time.

Since I haven't made a German Chocolate Cake from scratch before I decided this was the time! I have been making cakes from scratch for a while now so I knew it wouldn't be very difficult... Just needed to find a recipe...

There are a plethora of terrific cake recipes out there, for this specific cake, but I prefer to use cocoa powder, weird I know, but I just do. I feel like it is the real way to do things, the traditional way. Surprisingly the amount of recipes using cocoa powder, versus the newer German chocolate by Baker's, was more difficult but I found it!

So on to the pics...



As you can see I also used a basic chocolate butter cream to frost the sides and decorate, I think just using te coconut pecan topping for the sides is just too much, it adds a nice contrast.



And now the recipe...

Just click HERE!

Hush... a little secret... I didn't make the coconut pecan frosting... Why? It is a little difficult and I honestly think the one at the store is just as delicious and much easier than the one I would have made.

Live, Laugh, Love & Enjoy!

No comments: